Explore 80 miles of roads and trails through Western North Carolina mountains. Open to the public for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. Discover waterfalls and incredible views. Scenes in Last of the Mohicans and The Hunger Games were filmed here. Free forest maps are available from Forest Service Staff and from volunteers in the forest.
There are 6 larger listed waterfalls and smaller ones to discover. Swimming and wading is allowed, but only in the areas below the waterfalls.
- Bridal Veil Falls
- Grassy Creek Falls
- High Falls
- Hooker Falls
- Triple Falls
- Wintergreen Falls
DuPont State Recreational Forest is a great place for mountain biking with easy forest roads and exciting mountain tracks. Rent Mountain Bikes. Sycamore Cycles has two locations.
Horse Back Riding
All trails are open to horses except for Triple Falls Trail from the picnic shelter to Staton Road and a few foot trails that are clearly marked. Nearby Shoal Creek Farm offers DuPont Trail Rides.
Dogs Dogs are permitted but must be on a leash at all times.
This itinerary takes you to Hooker Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, High Falls, and Triple Falls. CLICK HERE
Take your hiking boots (and maybe a bathing suit and a beach towel in the summer) and drive out to DuPont State Forest. CLICK HERE
Directions from 1898 Waverly Inn
1898 Waverly Inn is a little more than 30 minutes from Dupont State Forest.
Take Main Street or Church Street south.
- You can take Main Street or Church Street south. Main and Church merge.
- Turn right on Kanuga Rd.
- Kanuga Road changes its name to Crab Creek Road, but it's the same road.
- You will pass signs for Holmes Educational State Forest on the left about 10 miles out of town.
- In another mile or so, just as you pass over the County line, turn left on Dupont Road/Staton Road.
- In about 3 miles you will begin seeing the parking areas for the various waterfalls and trails.